Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Manage Your References
Mendeley Desktop is a reference manager that allows you manage, read, share, annotate and cite your research papers.
You can download Mendeley Desktop for staff or student PCs here.
You can download Mendeley Desktop for personal devices here. Make sure you check to see if your Operating System and Word Processor are compatible with Mendeley Desktop, see here for more information.
Add Files to Mendeley
You can add files to Mendeley by:
- Dragging and dropping a pdf into Mendeley
- You can also add files by selecting file and then clicking add files or folder.
- Another way to add files is by selecting file and then clicking "watch folder" to choose a folder to put on watch. Mendeley Desktop will now automatically add files that are added to that folder.
Export references directly from other Elsevier products such as Science Direct or Scopus to Mendeley by:
- When reading an article click the export button then choose "Save to Mendeley"
Using the Mendeley Web Importer with your favourite web browser you can import references and documents from academic databases.
Read and Annotate your PDFs
You can edit PDFs that have been added to your Mendeley Library. You can do this by double clicking to open the file in a seperate tab within Mendeley Desktop. You now have the option to:
- Highlight text in multiple colors
- Add sticky notes to specific locations
- Make document-widevnotes
- Search within Text