Here are our top five tips for managing your research data effectively;
1. Plan Ahead. A Research Data Management Plan (DMP) must be submitted as part of the project proposal for ALL research projects.
2. Secure it! You must ensure that active research data are stored securely and protected from loss.
3. Share it. All data that have been selected for retention should be made openly available with as few restrictions, wherever possible.
4. Understand your Rights. Take care not to grant exclusive rights to re-use or publish research data to commercial publishers or agents.
5. Keep it Clean. Where possible, your data should be in a machine readable format, and easily discoverable and accessible.